Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions’ Burnaby Environmental Group is currently seeking a Practice Lead to join our Environmental Assessment and Permitting team in British Columbia. The successful candidate will work within Wood’s British Columbia/Yukon Regional Practice and collaborate with teams across Canada. Primary responsibility will be leading a practice focused on environmental assessments, environmental permit applications, and regulatory approvals.
About Wood E&IS
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions’ core competencies are in environmental assessments, health and environmental risk assessment, environmental geology (site investigation), remediation engineering, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, infrastructure engineering, and testing, and water resource services. We employ permanent staff in each region of Canada, including hydrogeologists, environmental, geological, civil, and geotechnical engineers, and environmental scientists and technician/technologist support personnel. Each of our regional teams is supported by local Wood offices and international Wood professional practice networks.
- Develop and implement strategic business plan(s), provide leadership, and deliver performance results to expand Wood’s environmental assessment, planning and permitting service offerings and client base in the resource and infrastructure sectors
- As a “seller/doer,” contribute to business development of Wood’s global environmental assessment, planning and permitting practice, including identifying and develop new opportunities, prepare effective technical proposals, and take active leadership in growing the practice
- Serve as a project manager or senior resource for environmental assessment, permitting and related projects
- Lead, manage performance, hire and retain, inspire and mentor personnel for overall success of the team
- Capitalize on existing Wood client relationships to expand Wood’s profile and deepen relationships with key clients
- Support the growth and development of Wood’s regional, national and international technical community
- Collaborate and partner with Wood technical practitioners from multiple offices to execute environmental projects globally
Wood perform consulting and EPCM services for many of North America’s power generation and power distribution companies.
Wood currently has exciting opportunities for a Senior Protection & Control Engineer. Reporting to the Manager, Electrical Transmission & Distribution, this position is located in our Vancouver, BC office. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Leading design of protection, control and metering systems for electrical substations of 12 to 500 kV from conceptual stage through construction and commissioning
- Developing protection planning and application documents, one-lines, schematics, panel layouts and wiring diagrams for power system protective relaying and metering systems
- Performing protection coordination studies and relay settings for high voltage utility transmission systems
- Preparing and reviewing drawing lists, engineering documents, specifications, construction and outage staging plans, and inspection and testing plans/procedures
- Assisting Business Development team by preparing protection and control technical scope of work, engineering budgets and schedules for proposals and estimates
- Leading a team of engineers and designers to develop efficient, safe and constructible design solutions for brownfield and greenfield substation projects at conceptual, feasibility and early engineering stages
- Reviewing design documentation with the Owner’s Engineer to ensure the design satisfies the project’s requirements
- Reviewing of vendor documents against specifications
- Reviewing/preparing material take-offs for all protection & control equipment, as well as ordering materials through the procurement group
- Performing factory inspections of protection & control equipment
- Coordinating construction and commissioning activities with clients and subcontractors
- Responding to information requests from construction sites and leading project closeout documentation, including as-builts, calculations and returning data to clients
- Participating in client technical, Safety by Design and constructability review meetings
- Traveling and visiting client sites during various project stages
- Enhancing and maintaining relationships with internal groups as well as external contractors and clients
- Mentoring junior engineers
To support our growth, Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking to fill a Junior or Intermediate Bridge Technologist position for our Calgary Infrastructure office. We will consider a range of candidates for these positions including recent graduates from a civil technology program or experienced Bridge Technologists familiar with local standards and contract specifications. As a Bridge Technologist located in our Calgary office you will provide technical support and inspection of bridges and culverts throughout Southern Alberta. Your primary focus will be the design, tender and construction inspection of standard bridges and culverts for several clients throughout the Calgary Region and Southern Alberta. Duties may also include project management and inspection on major bridges. You may also be required to provide project management or technical support to other projects from within our Water Resources and Community Infrastructure groups or other business units as required.
In the position you will be exposed to high quality mentoring and professional development opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Your primary responsibility will be the construction inspection of standard bridges and culverts in accordance with the requirements of the Ministry of Alberta Transportation
- Communicating with our client representatives and client managers
- Coordinating the work of our other business units may also be required to deliver this work to the satisfaction of our client
- Supporting the preparation of engineering reports including site assessments, design, drafting, cost estimates and report development
- Providing technical support during the construction of standard bridges and culverts
- Technical support for the design and construction of major bridges may also be required and the level of involvement on major bridges will be dependent on the experience and technical qualifications of the successful candidate
- Coordinate and participate in bridge/culvert inspection or girder fabrication inspection
- Coordinate and supervise junior inspectors, survey crews, material inspectors & contractors
- Preparation of tender and contract documents
- Construction and post-construction supervision
To support our growth, Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking to fill Field Technician positions for our Calgary Infrastructure office. In this position you will provide field support to the construction of infrastructure projects within various municipalities in the Calgary and Southern Alberta Area. We will consider a range of candidates for these positions including recent graduates from a civil technology program or experienced construction inspectors familiar with local standards and contract specifications.
These positions may be seasonal or permanent, fulltime and will be dependent on the candidate’s qualifications and project requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Your primary responsibility will be inspection and project administration related to construction contracts for roadways and bridges for various clients including Municipal Districts and Counties, City of Calgary, Alberta Transportation and the Federal Government
- Working closely with our client representatives, client managers, project managers and construction contractors to resolve contractual disputes and non-conformance issues in order to successfully deliver construction contracts
- Supporting the preparation of construction specifications and development of tenders
- Document onsite construction activities relating to non-conformances, material, safety, and quality control, including the monitoring of asphalt, concrete, electrical, environmental, traffic, and grading construction items
- Ensuring compliance with health and safety regulations and environmental regulations
- Reporting of installed quantities and preparation of progress reports for contractor payment and change order work
- Maintaining project records, including quantity calculations, and other documentation as required by the construction contract
- Coordinating the work of our other business units may also be required to deliver this work to the satisfaction of our clients
- Duties may include supervising others assigned to your projects and supporting the interpretation and execution of preliminary and detailed engineering designs. You may also be required to support detailed and preliminary designs by completing design calculations, quantity estimates, and cost estimates
- Coordinate and supervise survey crews, material inspectors & contractors, and other subconsultants
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking a Geotechnical CET to join our team in Winnipeg, MB.
- Assisting Geotechnical Project Engineers in various technical assignments including:
- All Aspects of Project Safety
- Underground Utility Locates
- Hand Augering
- Test Pitting
- Geotechnical Drilling using Various Techniques including:
- Solid Stem and Hollow Stem Augers
- Mud Rotary
- Coring, etc
- Cone Penetration Testing
- Soil Classification and Logging
- Instrumentation Installation including:
- Slope Inclinometers
- Piezometers (i.e. standpipes, pneumatic and vibrating wire types)
- Settlement Gauges, etc
- Gint Log Entry
- Data Analysis
- Report Preparation
- Construction Monitoring including:
- Instrumentation Monitoring
- Vibration and Noise Monitoring
- Subgrade Inspections and Reporting
- Pile Monitoring and Reporting
- Earthworks Monitoring and Compaction Control
- Assisting the Materials Group on various assignments including:
- Concrete Testing
- Compaction Testing
- Lab Work including:
- Sieve Analysis
- Cylinder Breaking
- CSA Calibrations
- Moisture Contents
- Unconfined Compression and Lab Vane Testing
- Cleaning/maintenance of the lab, lab equipment and vehicles
- Undertake geotechnical investigations
- Project management of assignments that may include the conducting and coordinating of a wide variety of geotechnical investigations, their design that may include routing studies, stability assessments, heavy industrial foundations, dams, mining, tunneling or geo-environmental projects
- Maintain and develop client relationships
Wood Canada Ltd. is seeking to hire a project engineering manager that is responsible for management, direction and co-ordination of the project engineering group and its interrelation with other project functions. Also responsible for implementing engineering procedures and maintaining the required standards of technical quality in the project work. Communication skills, solid engineering execution skills, stakeholder management skills and strong delivery experience are essential.
- Manage engineering and design functions
- Prepares work plans, schedules and budgets for the project in conjunction with discipline leads
- Ensures that engineering work on the project is completed in accordance with project HSSEA, risk management, engineering plans and the Wood Quality Management System
- Assists in determining the project organization and related job descriptions
- Facilitates and establishes the means of coordination of engineering work between disciplines and between the engineering team and other project functions
- Provides leadership and counsel to discipline leads
- Interface with other offices as required
- Establish basis design criteria for projects
- Responsible for implementation of Wood and project specific standards including adherence to engineering procedures and quality control checks
- Ability to work in matrix organization
- Technical proposal preparation
- Coordination with High Value Engineering centers
- Planning of engineering deliverables, man-hours and engineering schedules
Wood is currently recruiting for an Electrical Technician with extensive experience in the oil and gas industry.
The responsibilities of an Electrical Technician will depend on the size and scope of the project. Electrical Technicians will be responsible for addressing that all documentation pertaining to electrical and < 750 voltage activities is completed in a timely and efficient manner; and
▪ Send completed daily reports to the Commissioning Team Lead
▪ Work with internal stakeholders to ensure all electrical and < 750 voltage activities are completed in a safe and controlled manner
▪ When required, complete relay testing of the project-specific type of relays, LOTO switching, voltage testing, breaker testing, and substation testing
▪ Perform < 750 voltage and electrical testing, as required by the Project
▪ Shall attend and participate in the daily safety meeting
▪ Shall report all near misses and incidents to the Team Lead within 24 hours
▪ All safety procedures must be followed as per the commissioning procedures
▪ Communicate regularly with the Team Lead and other team members commissioning
deficiencies and failed equipment, faulty design and, in general, all issues encountered
▪ Support and facilitate a highly effective, collaborative environment with seamless, open communication with the team
▪ Inform Team Lead of any issues that could affect the baseline budget
▪ Inform Team Lead of any issues that could affect or cause delays in completion of the Site
▪ Shall report to the Commissioning Lead.
▪ Review the drawings and procedures prior to starting the assigned Work task
▪ When requested or instructed, assist the vendors and others with the Work scope for the day
▪ Review daily work activities and complete the Work scheduled as set out by the Lead
▪ Review upcoming work activities for proper test equipment, personnel, safety measures, vendor support, and documentation requirements with the Team Lead
▪ Be fully competent for relay testing of the project-specific types of relays
▪ Review redline drawings on a daily basis to ensure they are up-to-date and correct
▪ Complete the data sheets on a daily basis for the Work completed that day
▪ Review upcoming Work activities for documentation requirements with the Team Lead
Wood in Calgary is looking for a Civil Engineer, P.Eng. to join our Downstream & Chemicals team for a 6 month project.
- Responsible for the civil engineering deliverables within the scope assigned
- Site preparation for cold climate area e.g. Northern Alberta, Canada (6 months of freezing temperature) including rough grading of the plant site and pipeline corridors
- access roads, haul roads and service roads along the pipeline corridors
- Drainage including culverts / storm water management of the plant site and along the pipeline corridors
- Ponds - storm water drainage pond, emergency dump ponds including liner and leakage detection
- Marine facilities e.g. ramp access for boat and barge; and jetty
- Erosion control and protection
- Storage tank pad and containment area including liner and leakage detection
- pipeline corridors
- Underground pipelines and utilities
- Review project documents prior to issue for scope and presentation against project standards and specifications
- Stamp and issue civil engineering deliverables
- Coordinate and work with project team members
- Liaison with other disciplines and client when required
Wood services multiple markets including Infrastructure, Process & Energy and Mining & Minerals. Wood performs consulting and EPCM services for many local and worldwide companies and is executing world-class projects on five continents.
The Wood Trail office currently numbers over 70 engineers, designers and support personnel. Trail, located in Southeastern British Columbia near the cities of Nelson and Castlegar, is an affordable family-oriented community of approximately 10,000 people. The area offers excellent education and health care facilities, as well as access to world-class skiing at Red Mountain, hiking, boating, fishing, hunting, golf and all outdoor activities available in the Kootenays. Come work where most people dream of going to play!
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer to join our Mining & Minerals group, at our Trail, BC office. This role has overall responsibility for providing Mechanical Engineering support on our major projects. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Providing project management skills including man-hour estimating, budget control and scheduling
- Providing engineering and technical support for the layout, design, specification and evaluation of mechanical equipment for industrial plants and related infrastructure
- Preparing sizing calculations for pumps, gravity flow systems and other industrial equipment
- Preparing project documents and reviewing those prepared by others for scope, presentation and technical accuracy
- Leading work groups or project teams with limited supervision
- Demonstrating effective organizational skills and handling multiple tasks independently, and as part of a team
- Establishing good working relationships and communication with project management, area leads, department managers, clients and other team members to coordinate and ensure the compatibility of design
- Supervising and mentoring junior staff, including assigning work and evaluating technical competence.
Wood has a potential opporutnity for a Technical Illustrator to join our Operational Management Solutions team in Vancouver.
- Communicating through the creation of technical illustrations and animations with a focus on training.
- Creating clear, consistent graphics for use in training material that synthesize and simplify complex systems and communicate the basic concepts of the system described.
- Illustrating processes and their controls as schematic interpretations of process and control diagrams and process flow diagrams.
- Producing cutaways of equipment based on mechanical drawings and equipment vendor material, clearly and realistically showing the equipment’s components and structure.
- Depicting the location of equipment within a plant environment through the use of general arrangements or 3D cutaways animating the functions of the mechanical equipment clearly showing the principles of the equipment’s operation.
- Interpreting and comprehending process and instrumentation diagrams as well as structural drawings, such as plant general arrangements, elevations, and mechanical drawings of industrial process equipment.
- Participating as a contributing member of a team, communicating effectively with these members on various tasks and projects as assigned.
- Investigating and gathering of information required to complete assignments within deadlines.
Wood has a potential opportunity for a Technical Writer to join our Operational Management Solutions team in Vancouver.
- Developing content for facility or process specific e-learning
- Developing content for operations manuals and operating and maintenance procedures using site specific information
- Developing lesson, assessment, and training plans to supplement the manuals and procedures
Location: Voisey's Bay Mine Site, Labrador
Wood is currently recruiting for two Major Shutdown Planner / Schedulers to work on a major shutdown at the Voisey's Bay Mine Site. Schedule will be 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off at the Voisey's Bay Mine Site, reporting to the senior planner. These two positions will start immediately and continue until the end of August 2019.
Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Delivering planning and scheduling services in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner, in support of a major maintenance shutdown in the summer of 2019.
- Maintaining planning control structures in alignment with the approved project Work Breakdown Structure (WBS).
- Development of detailed execution schedule for maintenance and capital activities in Primavera or MS Project.
- Developing, updating, and maintaining plans to Project Engineers, Project Managers, and Clients.
- Analyzing and communicating schedule impacts of changes.
- Monitoring overall project progress status, achievement of major milestones, and project performance in relation to the baseline.
- Providing recommendations in order to facilitate strategic decisions and identify critical path within the plan, providing corrective action to mitigate potential risks within the schedule.
Make an impression in an international company ranked #7 in the Top 500 Design Firms and # 10 Top 50 in the International Market.
Wood Environmental & Infrastructure Solutions currently has an opportunity available in Calgary or Edmonton for a Municipal Infrastructure Lead. We are seeking a motivated candidate who combines strong technical skills with a keen interest in team leadership, project management, business development and client relationship management. The successful candidate will have experience in a variety of urban infrastructure projects including, but not limited to, municipal utilities (storm and sanitary sewers, water distribution, water and wastewater treatment), utility master planning, asset management, roads and transportation, and will have demonstrated increasing levels of responsibility over their career.
- Assume technical and business leadership of a growing municipal engineering team
- Communicate and work with other project team members that may be located in other offices
- Client liaison and relationship management
- Expand business opportunities, develop client relationships and lead project pursuits
- Support project execution and ensure project quality management
- Manage and deliver complex municipal engineering projects and multidisciplinary teams through pursuit, planning, design, and construction phases
- Manage and/or review projects from the proposal stage through to completion, including allocation of budgets, personnel and resources, billing and client relationships
- Maintain technical proficiency, including participation in professional practice groups and organizations
- Participate in Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
- When required, work collaboratively with other departments and Wood offices on project related work
- Other duties as assigned
Wood is currently seeking a Senior Project Manager for our mining consulting and EPCM projects in our Vancouver and Oakville offices.
This role has overall responsibility for overseeing the development of budgets, schedules and reports as well as for the management and coordination of project staff and sub-contractors to ensure safe, cost effective, efficient and timely completion of projects in order to meet and/or exceed client expectations. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Ensuring the management and coordination of project staff and sub-contractors to ensure safe, cost effective, efficient and timely completion of projects in order to meet and/or exceed client expectations
- Acting as a technical professional resource for the successful competition of multiple major challenging projects
- Managing all phases of an EPC/M project, including: project planning/execution, engineering, construction, through to pre-commissioning
- Developing and maintaining communication channels with clients, stake holders, and internal personnel to ensure that work flows smoothly as well as providing first class engineering services
- Mentoring and training junior internal personnel to groom individuals as well as complete project teams to become more prepared to take on additional roles and responsibilities
- Overseeing the development of project budgets, schedules and reports
- Gathering up to date information first hand at sites, meeting with clients and constantly monitoring work performances
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for a Civil Engineer-in-Training to join our Vancouver, BC office. We offer a broad range of professional development and career growth opportunities and are committed to helping our staff achieve their potential. If you have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, strong technical fundamentals, and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Providing Civil Engineering designs for diverse range of projects, across our Mining & Minerals and Power & Energy Businesses
- Contributing to the preparation of technical specifications and engineering input to material, construction and commissioning packages
- Material quantity take-offs
- Providing engineering technical support to the field during construction, including responding to RFIs from construction contractors, issuing Site Instructions and performing field reviews
- Supporting the development of proposals, study reports, engineering specifications, and contract documents
- Establishing good working relationships and communication with internal and external stakeholders
Wood is currently seeking a Manager, Contracts Administration, for our Mining & Minerals office in Oakville, ON. Reporting to the Operations Manager, this position is based out of our Oakville, ON location.This role has overall responsibility for managing, coordinating and administrating construction contracts to ensure cost and schedule compliance. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you. Must be willing to move to site with project.
- Manage, coordinate and administer construction contracts to ensure cost and schedule compliance
- Work with the Contracts and Construction Management staff to develop and implement the contract strategy for construction and service contracts
- Direct the formation of construction contracts including service and consultant agreements/contracts
- Work with the pre-qualification of tenders, award and administration of construction and service contracts, including managing contract change orders for in or out of scope items
- Develop and maintain construction progress activities utilizing Wood’s proprietary management system
- Compile monthly project reports on construction progress and status of contracts and present these reports to the Client
The Challenge? Be part of world-class technical teams delivering mining-related environmental services to protect and preserve our water resources. Our Mine Water Treatment Engineer positions are your opportunity to help our clients manage their water resources, reclaim water for reuse, minimize environmental impacts associated with mine water discharge, and restore environmentally impaired sites. Each day, you will support mine closure/remediation projects in addition to mine water treatment projects for active and expanding operations, utilizing your understanding of a broad range of mine water treatment technologies.
You should be a self-motivated, team-focused individual with a minimum B.Sc. (M.Sc. preferred) in Chemical Engineering, Civil and/or Environmental Engineering, with focus on water treatment; have a successful 15 year track record with a focus on mining projects, and have a desire to grow personally as well as professionally with each assignment.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to work with an established global engineering and consulting firm that values its employee’s enthusiasm and technical contributions, we encourage you to apply for this opportunity. We provide the atmosphere to allow individuals to grow their career.
Our Mine Water Treatment Engineers:
- Provide technical expertise in mine water treatment and management, including consideration of both surface water and groundwater sources
- Evaluate, select, and apply innovative techniques and procedures for treatment of contaminated water, both surface and groundwater
- Have expertise related to mine water treatment technologies for site-specific mine water drainage chemistry for hard rock and energy minerals mines
- Plan, execute and manage tasks for mine water treatment projects involving field investigations, bench and pilot scale test work, feasibility studies, design, and permitting
- Assist with the preparation and review for plans and specifications for bidding and construction of new facilities
- Understand regulatory requirements related to water resources and interface effectively with regulatory agencies on behalf of clients
- Assist with the development of technical proposals, including statement of qualifications, scope of work, schedule and task-level budgets
- Complete tasks within schedule and budget constraints
- Lead and/or support the preparation of technical reports
- Assist in market development efforts
- Interact with a broad variety of clients and multi-disciplinary project teams across multiple geographies. Participate in project coordination with the electrical, structural, process, instrumentation and architectural disciplines across Wood offices in the U.S. and Canada
- Maintain professional licensure, as appropriate
- Follow company safety standards and site safety standards
Wood is currently seeking a Project Controls Manager for our Mining & Minerals office based in Oakville, ON. Reporting to the Manager, Project Services and working alongside other team members locally, you will have the opportunity to provide leadership to project set-up, cost management, change control, progress monitoring, earned value, earned schedule, planning / scheduling, project close-out and for project performance reviews and lessons. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast pace environment, this opportunity is for you. Must be willing to move to site with project.
- Administrate the work of the Home Office and Site-based project controls groups, including oversight of the implementation of Wood standard systems, processes, procedures and work instructions
- Recruitment, selection and placement for personnel assignments within the controls group
- Completion of annual Performance Development Reviews (PDR) and subsequent follow up with each individual to achieve their goals
- Ensure that adequate qualified personnel are available to meet the current and future workload
- Establish and maintain Project Control’s Skills Inventory
- Prepare the Project Control’s Training Needs Analysis
- Ensure that a high quality of project control rigor is maintained
- Ensure that valid progress reporting, earned value and earned schedule set up, tracking, analyzing and reporting are maintained
- Ensure the Project Controls group are prepared to provide Procurement, Contracts and Construction with support regarding budgets, progress payments, valuations of contract variations, earned value / earned schedule analysis, cost flow and contract financial close out
- Ensure the Project Controls group are prepared to analyze, report and forecast project costs and schedule data formally on a monthly basis
- Provide Project Controls leadership to Wood staff, and contractors’ project controls staff
- Ensure the Project Controls group provides weekly, monthly reports in a timely fashion as required for projects.
- Ensure all processes and procedures are being followed
- Mentor Project Controls personnel as required
Wood is currently seeking a Senior Planner / Scheduler (site) for our Mining & Minerals office in Oakville, ON. Reporting to the Manager, Project Services, and working alongside other team members locally, you will have the opportunity to provide support on one of our major projects. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this opportunity is for you. The successful candidate must be willing to work on site.
- Develop and maintain Project schedules with project team members (EPCM)
- Provide team with decision support and tracking reports
- Monitor progress against plans and schedules and report on status.
- Analyze the CPM
- Create integrated project schedules
- Maintain and update project schedules
- Work with engineers and contractors
- Resource management and forecasting
- Two week look ahead’s
- Assess and re-planning